Card Making Challenge - Paper Crafting Alphabet - Add A Border

I was browsing Pinterest for some sort of card making challenge to just kind of give me a direction, and came across this graphic (I screenshot this):


Now it took me a bunch of work but I believe the original post came from Nichole Heady's blog. I found this post link but it keeps forwarding to the main Papertrey Ink blog. If you quickly click on the X to stop the page from forwarding in your browser you can stop on the post if you want to read it. I cannot figure out why it keeps forwarding for me on every browser I've tried. Even if I click on her main blog header. But anyway, I screenshot the challenge. I believe the original challenge was to use a few of the letters on a single card, as I found a few posts by other bloggers where they'd done a card to fill the challenge, but I've decided to use this to do a separate card for each letter of the challenge alphabet. I like this because there are some techniques I have not yet tried.

Today I'm sharing letter A - Add A Border. Now, I generally add a border layer around a lot of my card front panels, so I decided to do something different and use one of my card border dies to create a card.

This is the full card I created:



To make this card, I used Stampin' Up! Sahara Sand card stock for my card base. I then die cut another panel of the Sahara Sand which I had trimmed to 5.5" wide with the Pretty Pink Posh Stitched Borders curved die. This created the curved panel you see on the front of the card. Under this panel, I chose to add a bit of patterned paper from the My Mind's Eye The Sweetest Thing 6x6 paper pack. (I've had this for years, I am not sure it is sold anymore). The patterned paper is glued right down to the card base, but I popped up the Sahara Sand panel with foam adhesive.

Along the border, I wanted to add a die cut word. I had decided to make this a Mother's Day card, so I found my Hero Arts Stamp and Cuts happy die and stamp set and die cut the 'happy' three times out of a card stock remnant I had that matched the patterned paper. I like that the die was slightly curved so it felt like it would work perfectly right along the edge of the card border. I then glued the three die cuts together so that it created a thicker sentiment.

Before placing the front panel and die cut sentiment on the card, I first stamped 'mother's day' at a curve (just by bending the stamp on the stamp block) with Stampin' Up! Night Of Navy ink. The patterned paper has a bit of a navy blue in some of the little round flower buds so I chose that ink to match.

Next I added the foam adhesive I mentioned previously to the back of the curved panel and attached that to the card front. Then I took some clear foam Kool Tak adhesive and cut tiny pieces to put behind the top part of the 'happy' sentiment. I put Ranger Collage Medium glue along the bottom of the 'happy' so that the bottom would lay flat on the curved panel but the top would pop up from the patterned paper.


To finish off the card, I used some Stampin' Up! Subtles Candy Dots along the very corner, attached with tiny Glue Dots. I've had these for a few years, and I think they've changed to using enamel dots instead.


I don't use my card border dies too often so I am already really excited about this challenge as I hope it will get me using supplies I don't often pull out.

I have letter B coming on Friday along with a Watch Me Work video, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment