When I had very few stamps, I started a binder for the images, so that I had a place to refer to when looking for a stamp to use. I tried to keep up with stamping new ones as they came in, but eventually, when my collection grew exponentially, I could no longer take the time to stamp them. I photocopied them (in singles or in sets) and inserted them into the binder as best I could, but I ended up having a lot of stamps in the wrong categories.
A big culprit is the Stampin' Up sets, which often cover several themes. So I set out to create a new stamp index for my rubber stamps. (My clear ones are organized by category in clear bags, so having them in this binder isn't necessary at this time).
I used a three ring binder, and baseball card page protectors. I picked up two packs of 30 at KMart, and they're a really good quality. I then cut white cover stock into 2.5"x3.5" sized cards, and began stamping my images on them.
On the back, I wrote the manufacturer and stamp or set name, and what type of stamp. Initially I had expected to have clear stamps in here too. It turns out that writing "wood" was unnecessary for me, but I'm kind of an all-or-nothing girl, and wanted to be consistent. :)
Most stamps fit one to a card, but I do have many smaller stamps, and those I put two (sometimes three) to a card, especially if they coordinated.
I got some new $1 stamps at Michaels this week for Valentine's Day, a few of which are shown below.
I put the images in by category. In some cases if an image worked for more than one category (like balloons, which works for birthdays and parties), I put the image into each one. I labeled the page protectors with Post It write on tabs:
And there you have it! I counted the stamps up once I was done - 519 wooden stamps, which does not include 5 full sets of wood letter stamps. Once you add in my clear ones I think I'm pushing the 1000 mark. Crazy! I need to start USING these babies. I think this year I'll be doing a lot of card making :)
This took me 3 nights (about 9 hours) to complete the 500+ stamps. I wanted to get it done so I could make some cards this weekend, otherwise, I would have gone at a slower pace and done maybe an hour a night.